Book Club Reading Group Guide
Mad Dog House
By Mark Rubinstein
Roddy Dolan and Danny Burns, a surgeon and an accountant with checkered pasts, become silent partners in a Manhattan steakhouse. They’re swept up in a criminal maelstrom that threatens their families’ lives. Though Roddy thought he buried his past, he’s squeezed between choices–both of them bad. But Roddy has a plan.
Discussion Questions – Mad Dog House
- Is Roddy Dolan a moral man or not? What are some examples of his moral/immoral actions?
- What thoughts do you have about nature versus nurture?
- How much of our character is the result of our DNA? How can our character be modified by our experiences?
- What happens when we try to revisit the past and reignite old friendships after years of absence?
- Can we ever truly change our way of being in the world? Why or why not?
- What, if anything, about Roddy Dolan surprised you?
- What, if anything, about Danny Burns surprised you?
- What do you think Danny’s major character flaws were?
- What character flaws did Roddy have that contributed to the chain of events that occurred in the novel?
- How are male friendships different from female friendships?
- Did Roddy and Danny make an ethical choice by keeping all the complications of McLaughlin’s from their wives? Why or why not?